Thursday, November 11, 2010

Armistice Day

Today is Armistice Day and is a public holiday in France so no school for me! To me its a great thing that its a public holiday as it gives us the opportunity to pay our respects to those that fought for our countries, for making the world a better place. We also remember those fighting today to free the world of terror & ensure democracy all over the world. Whatever your opinions on various wars are, today is the one day where we should forget our differences and remember those who were killed & to those who are prepared to put their life at risk for their country.

I decided to go and witness the local Armistice Day memorial ceremony and we arrived in time for 11am. I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed by the ceremony. At the UK ones that I have attended, the national anthem is sung, hymns and prayers are carried out and someone usually gives a reading. I find the British memorial services so much more moving and personal. My concern with the French one was that it was impersonal. There were no readings, just a short speech about the event. It also didn't help that we got there very early and had to stand out in the cold for a long time but I'm glad I went. It felt right to go and pay my respects, witness a French ceremony and I met some lovely French people with whom I chatted to. I also got to see the Mayor of Reims, Adeline Hazan who I have since read is a finalist for the World Mayor Prize!

It was also strange not wearing a poppy this year but I have now learnt the French word for poppy - un coquelicot which has now become my favourite French word!

In other news - I have had a nice couple of days relaxing and spending time with my friends here. This weekend, we are thinking of escaping Reims and perhaps going to Epernay to enjoy some fine champagne.

To end, I wanted to post an American poem which I hadn't heard of until today - its very inspiring!


It’s the Soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us the freedom of the press.

It’s the Soldier, not the poet, 
Who has given us the freedom of speech.

It’s the Soldier, not the politicians, 
Who ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

It’s the Soldier who salutes the flag, 
Who serves beneath the flag, 
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

God bless them all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment