Thursday, January 6, 2011

Long time, no write

I'm sorry that I haven't written on here for a while. I had been meaning to write a post over the Christmas holidays but just didn't get round to doing so. So I want to wish all my readers a very happy new year or bonne année et bonne santè. I hope everyone has a great 2011 and hope that everyone has success, luck & happiness.

I went back to England for the first time in 3 months for Christmas. Unfortunately my trip home was rather eventful and I mean eventful in a negative way. The terrible snow caused my Air France flight to be cancelled on the Saturday (18th December). I wasn't very well at the time and was running a fever and all I wanted to do was go home to bed which of course I couldn't do! I went to see a representative from the airline but they refused to give me any help (hotel accommodation, food voucher, taxi, train ticket back to Reims etc) as I had purchased my ticket in France & they claimed they only helped passengers on the return leg of their ticket. Despite pleading with them for help, I got nothing and I along with a friend, I made at the airport - a very nice American girl named Ana decided to check-in to a hotel. The next day, we learnt that Heathrow Airport remained closed so we booked Eurostar tickets. We had to wait because of the weather conditions at Gare du Nord for around 7 hours and then when we finally got on the train, it took 5 hours as it couldn't go fast so I didn't get back to Croydon till nearly 4am and I was still ill!

So overall my visit to England wasn't great. I spent most of it not feeling very well and in bed or on the sofa watching telly. Christmas Day itself was nice and we ate good food, had lots to eat and it was nice to relax! I then went to Barcelona on the 29th December for 2 of my university friends' 21st birthdays as well as for new years! I had visited Barcelona around 8 years back but had forgotten a lot of it so it was really nice to return. The birthday party itself was very good with excellent food and stunning views as we were on the 23rd floor of a really nice hotel. The people there were also really nice & it was nice to get to know some new people as well as see some old, friendly faces! We also went out clubbing so got to experience the Barcelona nightlife!

On New Years itself, we went to my friends appartment where we ate delicious Spanish food and drank sangria & cava (I probably shouldn't say cava too loudly as I might get arrested by the Reims police for treason!) But it was awesome and great to see the new year in a different place. We also did the Spanish tradition of eating 12 grapes (1 at each chime) after midnight before wishing everyone a happy new year which I did successfully.

During the daytimes I saw a bit of the city walking along the Ramblas, going to the Sagrada de la Familia (although I couldn't go in because the queue was too long). I also went to Parc Güell which was really magical with sculptures and other little houses! I also saw the Cathedral of Barcelona, the Columbus monument and went to a couple of museums. I walked around the port and even got to dip my feet in the sea! I'm so glad I visited Barcelona - I had a really nice time & would definitely like to go there again.

Now I'm back in France and really glad to be back here. This week has been about getting back into the swing of things, preparing for lessons and giving a few classes. Next weekend, we are planning a trip to Nancy which I'm really looking forward to!

So that's all for now but I thought I would put some pictures up from Barcelona-











Just one of the displays on the Las Ramblas. I liked the fact that they have Carrefour in Spain too!


 A very awesome sweet shop where you choose the sweets you want and put them in a jar!











 Market de La Boqueria - a market that does all sorts of amazing food (just off Las Ramblas).











Me at the Sagrada de la Familia.

























Boats at the Port of Barcelona.










The view of the city from Parc Güell.

1 comment: